Tuesday, June 28, 2011

So Easily Forgettable

One of the things that has gotten to me is how easily forgettable some people can be. One day, a person is your best friend, the person you rely on for everything. The next day, they are no longer that friend you call first, the one whose opinion is important to you, the one whose advice is needed. Over time, they just slowly disappear from your life and before you know it, you haven't spoken in years. This is not because one of you did anything wrong. It just happens. You've forgotten about them, or they've forgotten about you. Perhaps someone else entered your life- a new love. Or perhaps you've moved and are no longer in the same area. It happens.

People lose touch all the time. Lives intersect at some points, then life can slowly take people in two different directions. But some people seem to have lasting friendships that see them through everything. These people are spectacularly lucky- and I hope they realize it.

Friends are so important. They are a person's support system, the people who will float you through during a tough time. I have never before been so aware of this. Not until I didn't have it.

I fell. Hard. And no one was there to catch me. No one was there to support me. No one cared.

This was not because I had betrayed or harmed my friends. We all just moved along with life. She was busy. I was busy. Before we knew it, we hadn't spoken in months...then years. People I saw everyday or now the people of my past. They used to be so important. If they were though, why didn't we find time to talk, spend time with one another? How was it so easy to lose each other.

How was it so easy to forget and leave behind what seemed like a great friendship?

No comments:

Post a Comment