Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Do What I Say, Not What I Do

Life can be rather confusing. We are talk to do one thing, and yet see people doing differently.

I've always thought maybe I'm a bit autistic. I translate things a bit too literally sometimes. For instance, when a friend tells me to meet them at a cafe at 10am, I actually show up at 10am expecting them to be there too. Instead, when they show up at 10:30am and I am livid, they can't imagine why.

There are other things too. Take for instance the government. With the current argument regarding the debt ceiling, the focus seems to be on the positive- the fact that the country will save $2 Trillion. What few people are discussing is the fact that the country will still be overspending by almost $8 Trillion.

I was always taught to live within my means. Meaning...if I only had $1, then I was eating Ramen for dinner. I never attempted to eat at Balducci's and charge the dinner, only to worry later how I would pay for it. I worry now.

So if we, as Americans, are supposed to live within our means, why isn't the government modeling that type of behavior?

Why aren't parents modeling their behavior if they want their child to be a better person?

Modeling is an important feature in society, and it is often overlooked and undervalued. If we all modeled ourselves better, then society might be a better place someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment